featured,

English Learning Resources

10/11/2017 Bassima Alansary 0 Comments

This is a follow up blog to my old one titled "How I learnt English", I wrote this as an email to a friend who approached me the other day, seeking some tips and tricks on how to improve her English and also if I can share with her some free resources.
I divided my email into four sections to guide her through it, so without further ado here is what I've sent to my friend.

 • Listening: it is the primary step in learning and improving, no matter how much you listen to English you always need more, I will list down podcasts and radio shows that I frequently use:

1. English at Work intermediate level.
2. Professionals podcasts, (advanced level) very good for work environment.
3. English Pronunciation Podcast, very useful website to help you level up your speaking and listening skills. (US)
4. Here are some programs on BBC radio 4 that will help you obtain knowledge of the way people discuss in English:
5. Finally, you need some drama :) 15 minute drama show on the BBC is great when you are busy cooking or cleaning around the house.
     These were variety of websites and podcasts I always refer to enhance my language, most of them are British English.

     • Channels on YouTube: In the past, I had nearly 40 channels for English learning, but nowadays I often watch some videos when I am bored of reading and listening.
1. Anglo-Link: all about Grammar!
2. books and quills: nice channel about book reviews.
3. English Jade: general English tutorials.
4. English with Lucy: really fun channel, varied lessons about idioms and phrases. 
5. Lisa Eldridge: this is makeup tutorials channel, for the well known makeup artist Lisa, it will help you with cosmetic vocabulary.  

     • Reading: if you are reading a novel or a non-fiction from a physical copy, you'd better search for its audiobook and try to listen and follow along with your finger, it is painstaking work but I grantee that your level will boost in no time. 
1. BBC Future: articles about science, health, and technology.
2. Teacher development information about training courses, CPD framework, publications, research database and many other resources to help with professional development.
3. East of the web: nice website for reading short stories, I recommend you to read the Contemporary stories for kids.
4. Reading skills practice: practise and improve your reading skills. There are activities for different levels, so find your level and make a start.

     • Other Resources:
1. English Tips: massive website for English, you will find everything on this site, English lessons, exam materials, e-books, coursebooks, etc.

2. Future Learn: offers many courses on different subjects, I think these courses suits you:
Academic Integrity: Values, Skills, Action.

3. Answers: a handy website where you can ask anything and find answers for your questions. 

     I think that's all I can think of at the moment, I took my time writing this email, because I wanted to give you the best of what I have been practising my language with during 6 years.
However, bear in mind that it doesn't matter how many books and resources you pile up in your pc, or bookshelves, if you don't devour and study them; it's likely that you won't progress at all.
I have two mottoes that I follow and found them useful to help me when I feel lazy: "If there is a will there will be a way", and "use it or lose it"
     Finally, I wish you all the best in your studies, and I hope that you will achieve and accomplish your dreams.

Yours Sincerely,

If you have any other good recourse please share them with me in the comment section.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: